Friday, August 10, 2012

Character Profile: THE ROOK


This is the first in a series of features on original characters I'm designing for a graphic novel idea I'm working on. Rather than design them on paper, I design in 3D, with X-Acto knives, wire cutters, Sculpey, paint, screwdrivers and lots of plastic bits.

We'll start off with The Rook, a character I've long been developing and one whose name and look has evolved dramatically over time. I've had this guy in mind for 20 years.
The Rook was always a crow/raven-themed character, but he went from being an armored Batman type to a more medieval knight to a supernatural creature before finally becoming an amalgam of all three influences.
I'm using a NECA “Ninja Gaiden” body for a base, with a Toy Biz “Darkness” head, Mattell “Hawkgirl” wings and assorted parts.
The wings aren't meant to be organic, but instead a kind of Da Vinci-style glider/flight pack.
He still needs to be assembled and painted, and some original parts sculpted. Final color scheme will be black with highlights of copper, dark grey and blue.

For a guy that's been in my head this long, The Rook's backstory remains mostly a mystery to me. Maybe that's why I find him so compelling.
His role in the story is a mentor to some of the main characters and something of a tragic figure. He's older than he looks, and about the last hero left in a world that has lost most of its protectors.
Once soaring into battle on those wings, The Rook now roosts in dark, abandoned lofts of vacant buildings, hiding out from his enemies. I wanted his look to reflect that “fallen angel” status.

No comments:

Post a Comment